WIC Program For Women, Infants And Children
The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) offers nutrition education, breastfeeding support, referrals and a variety of nutritious foods to low-income pregnant, breastfeeding or postpartum women, infants and children up to age five.
WIC has been shown to improve the health of pregnant women, new mothers and their infants and children. The foods provided through WIC are a good source of essential nutrients that are often missing from the diets of women and young children. WIC participants have longer, healthier pregnancies and fewer premature births.
What's New with WIC?
The new New York State WIC logo represents the program's mission to partner with you and your family by providing these services:
- Breastfeeding and peer counseling support
- Nutrition education focused on your needs
- Offering ideas for easy physical activities that are fun and healthy
- Convenient hours, locations and services
- Referrals to other health and social services
- Individualized food packages
To make it easier for you to have the paperwork you may need for your WIC appointments, some WIC forms are now posted on the Department of Health website.
For more information on WIC go to:
Do I qualify for WIC?
You can receive WIC benefits if you meet all four of these requirements:
You must be
- A pregnant woman of any age;
- An infant or child up to five years of age;
- A mother of a baby that is up to six months of age; OR
- A breastfeeding mother of a baby that is up to 12 months of age.
- You must be a resident of New York State, but you do not need to be a U.S. citizen.
- You must meet the income eligibility guidelines OR be receiving benefits from Food Stamps, Medicaid or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.
- Your medical or nutritional needs must be assessed by a WIC health care professional to determine which benefits are available to you.
Fill out the WIC Prescreening Tool online at USDA to find out if you might be eligible for WIC
How do I apply for WIC benefits?
Call your local agency to make an appointment.
- View a listing of local agencies providing WIC services.
- Call the Growing Up Healthy Hotline to locate the WIC Local Agency nearest to you: 1-800-522-5006
For More Information...
- Health Care Providers
- More New York State Nutrition Programs
- Helpful Nutrition Information
- Reporting Waste, Fraud and Abuse: The Bureau of Special Investigations (BSI)
- WIC Forms You May Need for Your WIC Appointment
Equal Opportunity Notice
WIC is an equal-opportunity provider.